Sunday 16 September 2012

The Dictator (2012)



This was one of my most anticipated movies of 2012, mainly because it starred Sacha Baron Cohen, the man behind one of my all time favorite comedies, Borat. I finally got a chance to watch it a couple of months ago, because it was not released in Bahrain for some reason. I watched it through from start to end, and let me tell you this, I was not disappointed nor was I satisfied, and that is a very rare feeling for me when I watch a movie; because I either love or hate the movie, no exceptions.

The thing about this movie is that it is scripted, unlike most of Sacha Baron Cohen's movies like Borat or Bruno (which was disgusting by the way). So the comedy is a little low in this one. Another thing I hated about this movie is that it uses a lot of stereotypes which were really not necessary. Also, this movie is SO unrealistic, I know that it is after all, a movie, but come on man! At least try to make it look like he is being a realistic Dictator. And, I HATED Anna Faris' performance, I thought she was terrible.

There are of course, some positive points. Like the fact that there is actually a twist at the end, and the fact that there are several memorable gags in the movie (but not as much as Borat of course!), and Mr.Lao was just amazing and hilarious, to this day I laugh every time I recall one of his quotes. And I really loved Jason Mantzoukas' character, Nadal. Moreover, Edward Norton makes a cameo! These few bits and pieces all combine together to make an overall watchable movie.

The critics didn't give this movie much praise and I can understand why, this is a very stereotypical motion picture that is highly unrealistic and not as good as Cohen's previous films. When comparing it to his other movies, this movie is like the black sheep of the herd, but on its own this movie is actually very watchable. This is why I didn't like it or hate it. Anyways, I suggest u guys to watch this movie and tell me what you think in the comment section below.

"You are HIV...Aladeen"
Ahmed


No comments:

Post a Comment